Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'm back!

So, I've left Uganda behind for a new challenge - London. Well, London with regular trips overseas to India and Bangladesh.

So I'm going from wide open landscapes of rich red soil and green bushland and grassland, to concrete stretching to the horizon and reaching for the heavens.

The open bushland extending beyond our compound


From living in a small town with animals and children rag-clad children everywhere, to a city of 6 million people and streets bustling with suit-clad professionals. From a simple life focused on the bare necessities, to a life dominated by the relentless bombardment of materialism and consumerism. From eating options so limited you lose your appetite, to supermarkets and restaurants with everything I could desire and more. From living behind the office and being surrounded by the subject of your work, to having a separation between work and life.

Making a home behind the office...


Leaving was hard. Over the past 3 or 4 months I've grown to enjoy life in Pader. I'll miss the people - the evenings sat with friends under the moonlight and star-strewn skies, the Sunday afternoons playing sport with the local kids, the friendly and familiar faces everywhere you go...

BBQing with some of the local team at my leaving party


Life in London will be different. Not worse, not better. Just different.

No comments: